Thursday 23 October 2008

Jonathan Ross' Depression Part 3 ( final)

'One night I was out at a hip place in town called the Atlantic with my wife Jane and a bunch of friends when a young guy came up to me quite full of himself.
'"Excuse me" he said - and I immediately assumed he wanted an autograph or something.
'"Excuse me, but didn't you used to be Jonathan Ross?"
'Not a bad line and he was right. Standing there, overweight from booze, looking forward to another night of getting off my face in an expensive restaurant, paid for by churning out rubbish I had no respect for, why should others respect me?

'Even though the bloke who said it was clearly obnoxious and he almost certainly didn't mean to be anything other than unkind and make his mates laugh, he actually did me a favour.
'There was a moment of low-level epiphany and I realised more keenly at that point than ever before the wisdom of the great Jimmy Tarbuck's words.
'I had found it surprisingly easy to get there, but staying there had meant gradually losing sight of what I had enjoyed doing and why I had started doing it, with the result that I was now making the kind of rubbish that I had started out deliberately mocking.

'So I backed off and stopped doing shows for no reason other than cash.
'I started doing radio which helped me get my foot back in the door. I really learnt to trust my own judgment about what works and what doesn't.

'I also started doing the comedy sports quiz They Think It's All Over on BBC1 which was liberating and fun and finally I started Friday Night with Jonathan Ross in 2001.

'I like being famous but only because I like what I'm doing and want it to stay that way.'

No comments: