Tuesday 21 October 2008

Jonathan Ross's Depression - Part 2

Jonathan rose : 'Of course, I now know how right he was, but at the time I dismissed it as showbiz nonsense.'My first television talk show The Last Resort started on Channel 4 in 1987. It had been a big hit but after series four, despite it continuing to get pretty good ratings, we agreed with Channel 4 to stop.

'But I had grown accustomed to having my face on TV, and the money that comes with it, so I fronted a number of different programmes, none of which really worked.
'Anyway, this unhappy and unproductive period inevitably led to depression.

'I was stuck in a groove, basically drinking too much and spending my earnings none too wisely.'I wanted to keep making shows because I didn't know what else to do, and because I thought I needed to keep earning the sort of money I had grown accustomed to.

'But earning that money by making shows I didn't care about made me far unhappier than being broke ever could have done. 'I also missed being respected for what I did.

No comments: